Height: 5’ 5
Birthdate: July 4, 1992
Birthplace: Burnsville, Minn.
Hometown: Elk River, Minn.
Current Residence: Athens, Ga.
Education: University of Georgia (2015)
Club: Georgia Diving Club
Coach: Dan Laak
National Team: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Laura is the daughter of Gary and Barb Ryan. She has two siblings. She started diving when she was 12 years old. She trains four hours a days and also coaches diving. Her favorite dive is 5152B (a front 2 1/2 somersault with a full twist). She had shoulder surgery in the summer of 2008 that kept her out of the pool for nine months. She also had knee surgery in 2013 and wasn’t sure if she’d continue diving after that, but has had some of her best results since returning from surgery. Laura enjoys boating, camping and skiing, and loves Italian food and Caribou Coffee. Laura graduated from Georgia with a degree in psychology in 2015 and plans to apply to physician’s assistant school.
- 2014 NCAA Diver of the Year after winning 1-meter and 3-meter titles and finishing third on platform at NCAA Championships
- 2012 World Cup team member
- Seven-time national champion, all in synchronized events (has three 10-meter synchro titles and four in 3-meter synchro)
- Best finish on an individual event at nationals is second, twice on 3-meter (the 2014 AT&T National Diving Championships and 2014 USA Diving Winter National Championships)
- Won bronze in 3-meter synchro with Abby Johnston at a 2014 FINA Grand Prix meet in Mexico
- Has won bronze in two other international events as well (3-meter synchro with Meghan Houston at 2013 World University Games, 10-meter synchro with Amy Cozad at 2012 AT&T Grand Prix)
- Best individual finish at an international meet was fourth on 3-meter at 2014 FINA Grand Prix meet in Puerto Rico