COVID-19 Update on Olympic Trials Qualifier in Tucson
by USA Diving
March 13, 2020
Dear USA Diving Members,
Over the course of the past week, the coronavirus (COVID-19), and its rapid spread, has prompted unprecedented changes within the world of sport.
The health, wellness and safety of our athletes, coaches, members, their families and our staff are our utmost priority. Our leadership team and Board of Directors have been meeting daily to discuss the most up-to-date information and the associated effects on the safety of our community.
With that in mind, as of March 13, 2020, the USA Diving Board of Directors has voted to suspend all USA Diving events, camps, conferences, or any occasion that requires individuals to travel and gather for the next 30 days.
The 2020 Olympic Trials qualifier which was set to take place April 3-5, 2020 in Tucson, Arizona as well as the coinciding FINA Judges Course, will be postponed. Further updates on upcoming events will be announced as soon as the information is available.
We understand that the current situation is extremely difficult and complicated, but as an organization, it is our priority to place safety above all else. We are continuing to monitor this dynamic situation and we will update our decisions and recommendations frequently.
Daily practices and training activities are a concern for everyone. The Board recognizes that athletes and coach members will continue to train and prepare for upcoming competitions, and USA Diving insurance remains in effect. USA Diving strongly encourages precautions be taken to prevent the spread of infection as well as follow the guidance by the CDC and WHO for your respective areas.
We continue to stress the importance of preventing the spread of infection and share the following information being circulated by healthcare officials:
- Avoid getting closer than six feet to anyone coughing or sneezing;
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer that has 60-95% alcohol. This is especially important after going to the bathroom, before eating, or after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth;
- Cover your mouth with a tissue or your elbow if you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash, and then wash your hands;
- Stay home if you are sick, and away from the pool and from fellow team members;
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces regularly;
- Monitor the WHO and CDC websites for travel advisories and follow their recommendations.
Everyone is encouraged to seek further information using the CDC and the WHO websites:
Questions or personal concerns regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19) should be directed to your local healthcare provider.